Nitrous Oxide is a sweet-smelling, non-irritating, colorless gas which you can breathe.
Nitrous oxide is safe for kids and adults. The patient receives 50-70% oxygen with no less than 30% nitrous oxide. It is convenient and effective by itself, or it can be used with sedation medications depending on the therapeutic effect desired.
We adjust the level to your comfort.
The patient is able to breathe on their own and remain in control of all bodily functions.
The patient may experience mild amnesia and may fall asleep, not remembering all of what happened during their appointment. At the end of the dental visit, the nitrous is flushed out of they system and pure oxygen is administered.
Patients leave oriented, relaxed and are able to resume their daily activities and drive themselves home.
There are many advantages to using Nitrous Oxide
- The depth of sedation can be altered at any time to increase or decrease sedation.
- There is no after effect such as a “hangover”.
- Inhalation sedation is safe with no side effects on your heart and lungs, etc.
- Inhalation sedation is very effective in minimizing gagging.
- It works rapidly as it reaches the brain within 20 seconds. In as little as 2-3 minutes its relaxation and pain killing properties develop.
Reasons to not use Nitrous Oxide
You should not utilize Nitrous Oxide if you have been diagnosed with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Though there are no other major contraindications to using nitrous oxide, you may not want to use it if you have emphysema, exotic chest problems, M.S., a cold or other difficulties with breathing.
You may want to ask your dentist for a “5 minute trial” to see how you feel with this type of sedation method before proceeding.